Monday, January 17, 2011

Homemade Baby Food

Tonight I made Homemade Baby food for Mallorie.  She is not eating it yet but it stays good in the freezer for up to four months.  I use a Blog that I follow for general instructions but I also altered it a little.  Here is my first tutorial for Homemade baby food.

Butternut Squash

First cut the Squash in half and remove the seeds and "guts"

Place the squash "meat" down and add a little water to help it bake while in the oven.

Bake at 400 degrees
For one hour
You will be able to tell that they are done when you can poke them with a fork easily.  Then remove them from the oven and let them cool off a little.
Then scoop the squash off of the peel.  It comes off pretty easily.
Put the squash into the Blender. (I also used a baby food mill for some.  I want to see how it turned out using both.  It works great either way.)  I added some Breast Milk to the Squash to make it a little creamer.  It also made it easier to puree.
Then spoon the pureed baby food into ice cube trays.  (It would have made more but I took some out for our dinner!)  Then put then in the freezer.  Once they are froze then put them in a gallon size freezer bag and take them out as you need them.  It was so easy (and cheap) to make.  I am excited to see how Mallorie likes them.
It is amazing what I can get done while she is sleeping.  

2 comments:

  1. Great job! You will certainly save a lot of money on baby food. Baby food is so expensive! There was a great article on making baby food in the Holland Sentinel today at http://www.hollandsentinel.com/mysource/family/x1745234169/Homemade-baby-food-is-easier-than-you-think
    Many moms like the idea that they know exactly what they are feeding their baby without worrying about additives and preservatives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I almost didn't make it over, but boy am I glad I did! Thanks for the link, Kalli! I appreciate it a lot! <3

    So is your birthday the 18th or 19th? Mine is the 18th. I swear you commented yours was yesterday and mine was the day prior, but I could be confused!

    At any rate, I hope it was wonderful!! Thanks again for the link! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete